Thursday, November 28, 2013

Perfect Gifts

I stood before my choir family just days ago giving them a last-minute Thanksgiving speech. With the extra time we had, I asked them as a group to share some things they were thankful for. They went down the line, some pausing to think, others answering immediately. Nice things were said about faith, family, food, friends, and football. Anything you can think of, these kids mentioned. The last person spoke and I was about to close things out when a voice from the back said, "What about you?"

It hadn't occurred to me that I might need to say something. I hadn't given it a lot of thought. In the few seconds I had to think, I found myself suddenly overcome with emotion.

"There's just so much," I finally said. Several people nodded their heads in approval. I went on to name just a few things that I was incredibly thankful for, but there was so much I didn't say. I thought back to the beginning of the month, when I first made my Thanksgiving proposition. I issued a challenge to several of my friends, that from November 1st to Thanksgiving day to write down one thing each day they were thankful for. I accepted the challenge myself, and I must say it helped me tremendously.

Today was technically the last day of the challenge. I woke up this morning and began searching through my Bible, as I often do, hoping to find a good message for today. I came across the passage I used to start the challenge, with the key verse being 1 Thessalonians 5:18. It gave me the inspiration to issue a new challenge, directed at everyone.

I'm not saying you have to keep a formal list, although that's what I'll be doing and it might be fun. You could post it on your various social network accounts. I did that as well, and I thought it was pretty cool to see less that dishonors God on Twitter and more that brings glory to Him. However you would prefer to keep track, even just in your head, is fine. It doesn't have to be a daily thing, but it can be if you want to do it that way. All that matters is that whenever you think of something to be thankful for, be thankful for it.

 It has become evident to me in the past 28 days that the things we should thank God for are endless. There shouldn't be a deadline on your thankfulness, and we shouldn't have to set aside a day for it. Every day is a gift from God, so why not thank Him for it? James 1:17 is one of my favorite verses, and it says that every good gift and every perfect gift is from above. If we focus a little bit more on that, we'll have a better perspective in general and we will be better living out our purpose, which is to glorify God.

If you do accept the challenge, pass it on. The goal is to bring honor to God in all that we do. He has given us so many great ways of doing that. Start thanking Him for it. And as you stuff yourself with stuffing and gobble down some turkey, keep in mind what the purpose of Thanksgiving really is, and don't forget to give thanks.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

"Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." --1 Thessalonians 5:18

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but are moderated.