Sunday, July 21, 2013

Establishes Means Establishes

Jonah was a prophet. God literally spoke to him. He and God talked to each other. Do you ever wonder what on earth he was thinking when he decided he could run from God?

The God he spoke to was omnipresent. You can't run away from someone that's everywhere. Why did he even try? Lately I've noticed something. Regardless of who the target audience is, pop culture seems to have one incredibly important message for us. So many new-age movies and television shows find it incredibly important that we understand that we are in control of our lives. William Ernest Henley ended his famous poem, Invictus, by saying, "I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul."

That sounds so inspirational and moving. Everyone likes the sound of that at first. But then we start to think about it. Do I really control my fate? The idea in and of itself is absolutely ridiculous. You don't tell your loved ones when the time is right for them to pass away. You don't tell your banker how much money you should have. You don't tell the world what you will do with your life. Sure, we can dream. We can wish. You can want something with all of your heart. You can work your life away trying to reach that goal. That's wonderful, and I respect you for working towards your goal. But you don't decide if and when you're going to get there.

As I said, God gives and takes away (Job 1). You can work for things you want and dream about things you don't have, but don't forget where they came from. You aren't entitled to a great life. God gave you everything you have. He always has and always will have a perfect and sovereign plan for each and every one of us. I said a long time ago that taking matters into your own hands won't usually work out. Jonah tried to get away from God, but he didn't get very far. In the end, God's will was done, just the way it is in our lives.

Proverbs 3:5 says, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding." We need to accept the fact that we truly are not in control. God will do what God will do, and we need to understand that as much as we hate to admit it, God is right and we are wrong. And what we want isn't always what we need. It's hard to accept. I for one certainly do not like to be wrong in my thoughts, words, or actions. But guess what? We aren't perfect.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that I don't agree with the popular message that we are in control. Our sovereign, omnipotent God is in control, and that definitely doesn't bother me. Sure, there will be times when I'll be disappointed that I don't get what I want. There will be times when I won't understand what's going on. But the Lord establishes my steps, and nothing could bring me more peace.

"The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps." -Proverbs 16:9


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but are moderated.